Student Spotlight: Dan Versman

exc-54133d3de4b0608fb3141dbb
    exc-54133d3de4b0608fb3141dbb

Many students find themselves overwhelmed with their course load at SSU, and Dan Versman is certainly one of those students. 

He embodies a love for education, with a plan to pursue three majors; psychology, music and theology. 

If his course load is not enough, Versman is also involved in several on-campus clubs, including the climbing team.

“I really like to climb. It’s a great way to get a natural high and make your body feel good,” said Versman. 

Versman has been known to encourage students to participate in activities at the climbing wall and goes to the wall quite often in his free time. 

Versman is also the current intramural disc golf champion at Sonoma State, and is proud to have his picture displayed at the Recreation Center. 

“I love to go out to Crane Creek and golf on a Sunday afternoon with my buds. We throw the disc around, chew some seeds and laugh up a storm,” said Versman.

A third year student at Sonoma State, Versman has been playing music since he was 8 years old. 

Thus, it was not hard for him to decide to enroll in the music department at SSU.

“I think music is a really neat thing and I love being able to gain knowledge on it,” said Versman. “Originally, I was really inspired by artists like Atmosphere, Skrillex and DJ Ex-plode. Now I am most influenced by eclectic artists like Schoenberg, Brahms and Tom Waits.” 

When talking with Versman, his love for music is apparent. 

He plays a total of five instruments: guitar, piano, harmonica, drums and recorder. 

“Each has a special place in my heart. I started on the piano but after a while I learned how neat other instruments could be, I guess that’s how it all started,” said Versman. 

He aspires to eventually play his music in front of large audiences and accrue a loyal fan base. 

“I’d like to play at Warped Tour or EDC, that would be pretty neat,”said Versman.

A Santa Cruz local, Versman often talks about the town he is proud to have been raised in. 

Growing up he loved to go the Boardwalk, Capitola and University of California Santa Cruz. 

In his spare time back home, he said he would normally be found getting some ice cream at Marini’s or a slice at Pizza My Heart. 

Having grown up in Santa Cruz, Versman explained that it was not a difficult transition coming to Sonoma state. 

“Living in Cali is more than just geographic, it’s a lifestyle,” said Versman. 

He certainly incorporates the ‘California lifestyle’ into his character.

After Sonoma State, Dan aspires to eventually pursue a career in the field of psychology, though he would also like to incorporate music. 

“Perhaps I could be a music therapist or work in human resources,” said Versman. “Either way, I’d really like to go to graduate school. I’d like to stay in school as long as possible.” 

Versman has enjoyed his time at SSU and has picked up more than a few interests along the way. 

“I am proud to call myself a Seawolf. I have made many good friends and cherish the time I spend with them. Watching myself learn and grow as a person has been a pretty neat thing,” said Versman.

He looks forward to his fourth year at Sonoma State and he plans to graduate in spring 2015. 

You may just catch Versman playing some of his music at Lobo’s’ new Open Mic Night on Wednesdays.