Best Getaway: Bodega Bay

Trying to get away for the weekend and get back to nature? The small town of Bodega Bay is only 45 minutes away from Sonoma State, and features a variety of beaches, camping grounds and other tourist attractions such as taffy and kite shops. 

Doran Campground opens at 7 a.m. and closes at sunset; parking is $7 for the day and an individual campsite only costs $32 for the night. However, it is recommended that you plan your trip carefully; the area gets very windy and can make for a miserable trip if timed incorrectly. It is also recommended that campers bring heavy sleeping bags and pajamas because temperatures are often in the 40s at night.

The beaches technically operate on the same schedule, opening early in the morning and closing at sunset, but because the entrances aren’t regulated you can go virtually whenever you like. There are a number of beaches you can visit, but some of the most wellknown are School House, Portuguese and Dillon Beach. 

“Portuguese is my favorite beach because it’s actually pretty big, you can go skim boarding if the waves are nice and the water isn’t too cold, and there’s a big boulder you can build a fire behind at night,” said sophomore Molly Denison. 

Bodega also offers other attractions, such as Patrick’s, which specializes in delicious saltwater taffy. 

“Patrick’s is a must whenever I go to Bodega,” said sophomore Matthew Hargadon. “They have a great selection, but my favorite flavor is their apple pie.” 

They also offer variety bags and taffy by the pound, and are open Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Friday through Sunday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Candy & Kites is another place where you can satisfy your taffy cravings, and an even better place to pick up a fun and colorful kite to fly on the beach. Their hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Sunday, but they are closed on Tuesdays.