Sonoma State’s spirited week

exc-53f50785e4b07b3557c439cd
    exc-53f50785e4b07b3557c439cd

Spirit Week was the buzz around campus last week as the classic, fun-filled week served Sonoma State students with doses of relaxation, enjoyment and Seawolf spirit.  

Sonoma State has been around for over 50 years and the school took this past week to celebrate pride for the university.  

Nomafest took place last Thursday in the plaza between the Rec Center and Student Center. 

Greek life and various SSU clubs hosted the event with a live disc jockey (DJ), games and free prizes to help students de-stress before finals. It was one of the hottest evenings of the semester and was a perfect night for the two-hour event to take place.

“The music is awesome and there was a bunch of free stuff,” said Becca Hassid. 

There were a couple carnival games ready to be played in the plaza for SSU students. 

Students could throw a ball at a stack of cups to knock them down or throw darts at blown-up balloons and try to pop them. Free t-shirts were given out to winners along with Wolfbucks and many more prizes.  

“You can never pass up on a free shirt,” said Student Alexandra Papaan “It looked like a lot of fun so I thought I’d stop by.” 

Live music was provided by student Spencer Carrol, also known as DJ Lacklustre throwing down energy-hyped electronic beats and tunes for students to listen to and enjoy.  

“There’s a bunch of music and free stuff, and it looked like a lot of fun,” said freshman Sarah Kaden.  

The crowd bobbed their heads in the shining sun to the music and overall everyone had smiles on their face as they 

Black Scholars United had a booth at the carnival and were informing students about their program. Black Scholars United is a student organization that stands as a support system academically, socially and for moral well-being for students since 1987. 

Academic excellence, political empowerment and community involvement are the three aspects the organization focuses on to better the live of students involved.  

“We are here tabling for B.S.U. and tribe booth, said Christin Bearden.    

BSU is the Black scholars united organization and tribe is our step-team.  We’re tabling trying to get people to come out and check us out.”  

Just a bit after Nomafest, free bowling night took place at Double Decker Lanes. Going from 10 p.m. through midnight students chose to rock Sonoma State gear to be rewarded free bowling.  

Since it was Spirit Week, anyone wearing SSU clothing was entered to win a raffle. Students enjoyed bowling on the house and fun with friends. 

To top off Spirit Week, in Sonoma State’s very own Grand Ballroom the Spring Fling dance took place on Saturday night.  

Put on by ASP Associated Student Productions the 1,200 square-foot ballroom held a free dance for students to end the year on a good note.  

The ballroom serves as the largest of its kind in Sonoma County and opened up just this past fall semester.  

The dance went from 9 p.m. until 1 a.m. as students danced the night away.  As the night went on more students showed up to the Spring Fling Dance where they enjoyed dancing with the company of their friends.

The DJs on the line-up included DJ Lacklustre, Sobey, Pasket and Konik.  It was the highlight of the weekend for most SSU students and kept them busy and free to de-stress themselves before finals.  

Spirit Week was a way for students to escape from their worries of all their last minute deadlines of the semester.