Get into Halloween spirit

It’s hard to believe that Halloween is just around the corner. It is time to divert eyes away from books and dive into some Halloween activities. 

If one wishes to go trick-or-treating, look no further than the McDonald Historical District in Santa Rosa. This neighborhood was used in the filming of Wes Craven’s film, “Scream”, and is said to hand out the best candy.     

“McDonald Avenue goes all out on Halloween,” said Santa Rosa resident Tanya Lemus. “It almost looks like Halloween town.”

Aside from trick-or-treating, there are plenty of other things to do on Halloween. One can stay at home and watch scary movies with friends and enjoy Halloween inspired treats. These treats can range from hot dogs wrapped in Pillsbury crescent roles made to look like creepy fingers or white chocolate dipped bananas and with dark chocolate eyes to look like spooky ghost.

“I honestly don’t have any plans for Halloween,” said sophomore Meagan Waller. “I work that day, so maybe I will just watch a few scary movies and eat some candy when I get home.”

If you’re seeking something scary look no further than Blind Scream Haunted House in Rohnert Park or Dr. Evils House of Horrors in Guerneville, where admission ranges between $10-$30. Or take a trip to Petaluma and visit the popular night maze at the Petaluma Pumpkin Patch, with $9 admission.

There are also plenty of events going on around the area, such as “Walking with the Dead,” a trick-or-treating event in Santa Rosa’s Safari West from 4-8 p.m, or the murder mystery play, “The Game’s Afoot,” at the Raven Theatre in Healdsburg with $10 admissions for students.

Aside from these events going on in the local area, there is plenty to do on the Sonoma State University campus. One can attend the SSU Writing Center Palooza, from noon to 2 p.m.

“There will be free food, writing games and more,” said Annie Green, writing center staff member. “I plan to dress like Mary Poppins while working and go out passing out candy to children.”

One can also catch “The Importance of Being Earnest” at the Evert B. Person Theatre between 7:30-9:30 p.m. with free admission for students. There is also Live at Lobo’s Karaoke going on from 9-10:30 p.m. and a screening of “The Shining” in Ives Hall at 10 p.m.

All of these campus events will take place on Halloween, but if one has already made plans for that night, ASP is hosting Paranoma on Oct. 30 from 9 p.m. to midnight  in Sauv quad and the Cooperage. This event will feature a haunted maze, games, face painting, music and a costume contest.

If one is worried about going out simply because they do not have a Halloween costume, there are plenty of last minute costume ideas. One can channel their inner Regina George from the movie “Mean Girls” by wearing something cute and cutting out two holes on their shirt. 

To dress up as Gilligan, from the television classis, “Gilligan’s Island”, all you need is a white bucket hat, a red polo shirt and blue jeans. But if neither of those options work one can cut two eyeholes out of a brown paper bag and write “I’m not famous anymore” to portray actor Shia LaBeouf from his social media post. 

It is also really simple to become a “Sims” character with a headband, a cut out green diamond and some wire to make it look like there is a green diamond floating above a person’s head. These are just a few of the last minute costume ideas one can find by simply searching through the Internet.