Harley Quinn and the Joker romanticize domestic abuse

exc-57c614b85016e157ad86193d
exc-57c614b85016e157ad86193d

Relationship goals. What are they exactly? Well, it seems to be the one of the top trending phrases of 2016 especially since the release of “Suicide Squad.” People are infatuated with the relationship Harley Quinn and the Joker have, but don’t seem to take into consideration that a majority of that relationship consists of domestic violence.

Harley Quinn was introduced to the world back in 1992 and went on to become a fan favorite. Comic book fans fell in love with her, especially when she made her first TV debut. Right off the bat her relationship with the Joker was abusive. She is portrayed as a woman who gets beat on and tormented by her boyfriend, yet she comes back to him every time and blames herself for the abuse. This is an example of some of the domestic violence cases that occur in society today, which sparked controversy upon the release of the movie.

There have been movies and TV shows that have portrayed abusive relationships but “Suicide Squad” had a different affect on its audience. People are using their social media outlets to post pictures of Harley Quinn and the Joker, idolizing their relationship. The movie shows how their relationship began where Quinn started off as the Joker’s psychiatrist and results in her jumping into a pool of acid to prove her love for him. Domestic violence is a serious topic  most people are against, yet many people support Quinn’s and the Joker’s relationship.

The movie doesn’t approach domestic violence as a negative thing. Instead the movie glamorizes the idea. Now the movie isn’t directly telling their audience member’s to go out and abuse their significant other, but it  isn’t telling people not to. What some people may not know is that Harley Quinn’s character is based off of someone who was in abusive relationship. The difference between the two is that Quinn still stays with the Joker and sees nothing wrong with their relationship. The woman who Quinn’s character is based off got the help she needed to get out of her violent relationship (Robinson, Joanna).Though Quinn is a fictional character, she is still a victim of abuse.

Domestic violence isn’t something new; it has been going on for years. Every year, more than 4,000 women experience some sort of domestic violence from their partner. It is a very serious matter that can sometimes result in death to some victims. So then why are some women supporting Harley Quinn and the Joker? Yes, the two may be in love, but is it worth it? There have been some posts I have seen on social media where people point out the violence between the characters, but I have seen more posts with #relationshipsgoals supporting the relationship between the characters.

Is it okay for people to lay a hand on their significant other? No, of course not. It ‘s important for people to be aware that this movie is fictional and so are the characters. My concern for the movie is that some people may try and recreate some of the scenes and could result in serious injuries. Especially with all the violence going on in our society today, this isn’t a topic that should be taken lightly.

As for Harley Quinn will she always stick by the Jokers side? Will she eventually realize that she deserves better? There is no indication  she will leave him any time soon. Though her character did receive a spin off movie featuring some other female characters, there is no word if the Joker will make an appearance in the film. This movie could be the start of Quinn distancing herself from the Joker and establishing herself as more of a role model for women, but one will have to wait and see.