Internship and volunteer opportunities available through CALPIRG

exc-62030761b1b3fb337307a652
exc-62030761b1b3fb337307a652

If you are passionate about the environment and social justice, then students are welcomed to take a stand for what you believe in with the California Public Interest Research Group. The California Public Interest Research Group (CALPIRG) at Sonoma State is offering internship and volunteer opportunities to students, with both in-person and virtual options. 

CALPIRG Students is a statewide student directed and funded organization with a mission to develop a new generation of activists ready to promote social change and progress in America. Stated on the CALPIRG website, for nearly 50 years, the program has helped students get organized, mobilized, and energized so they can continue to be on the cutting edge of positive change.

CALPIRG combines the idealism of students with the expertise of professional staff who work alongside students to do research, education, and grassroots organizing for the public. The organization originated within the UC colleges, but is beginning to branch out into California State Schools, including San Diego State, Cal Poly Slo, Cal State LA, Occidental, and now Sonoma State.

Collectively across the country, campus clubs have registered hundreds of thousands of students to vote, saved students $40 million creating open source textbook programs and more than 12 universities to sign a pledge to eliminate single use plastics on campus.

Student intern Teo Minkoff said, “We do this work because students are

often at the forefront of movements to build a better future for our country… CALPIRG Students allow students like me to be part of a coordinated effort, working with other students on our campus, across the state, and throughout the country. That’s the kind of action that can bring about real change on issues that really matter.” 

The program focuses on issues such as saving the bees, banning single use plastics, voter registration and affordable education. With more interns and volunteers, the program wishes to expand further into more campaigns and welcomes different campaign ideas and exploring areas of interest.

This semester, the Sonoma State CALPIRG program is helping save the bees by making campus more pollinator friendly to become a certified, “Bee-Friendly Campus,” along with other national campaigns that students can choose to participate in. The program is run by an all student board of directors who decide which campaigns to prioritize and focus on, and any student can bring campaign ideas to the statewide board. 

Internship criteria includes 10-15 hours of work per week attending weekly activism classes, leading campaigns, recruiting volunteers, getting media attention, and planning events within the organization. Interns and volunteers of the program will work closely with a professional staff member who will train and educate students to run strategic and effective campaign techniques.

The internship program also offers course credit to fulfill any graduation and degree requirements. Although the program is student funded, members are not required to pay a pledge fee if not financially capable. Membership fees are voluntary.

Applications for internships and volunteer opportunities are open now through the CALPIRG website https://actionnetwork.org/forms/get-involved-calpirg-students-interest-form. Students of all majors and backgrounds are welcome to apply. 

Students interested in learning more about CALPIRG may attend an informational meeting on Feb. 10 at 1 p.m. Sign up for the meeting by contacting Sydney Kale, the coordinator for Sonoma State CALPIRG, at [email protected].

COURTESY // @CALPIRG_UCB ON INSTAGRAM

1.56 BILLION MASKS WERE ESTIMATED TO POLLUTE OUR OCEANS BY 2020. CALPIRG STUDENTS WORK TOWARDS PROTECTING BOTH THE ENVIRONMENT AND THE COMMUNITY.