Vegan activism once again goes too far

exc-5cad4d5d104c7bc67dcca167
exc-5cad4d5d104c7bc67dcca167

Vegan activism has been fueled by the rise of social media and intrigue to conscious living in Australia. On April 8, vegans who have been described as “militant” are planing the biggest animal protest the world has ever seen. Vegans are ruthless. Most activists are set out to end whatever the topic of concern may be, and these individuals will do anything to showcase their opinion. 

Acclaimed activist, Ed Winters (AKA Earthling Ed) has a strong stance on vegan activism—which he explains is intrinsically anti-establishment—by saying, “Vegan activism is about highlighting oppression and injustice in the world. It’s about accepting but dissolving your own ego. It’s incredibly empowering to put that pressure on yourself.” 

Thousands of extreme vegan activists will live by these words and illegally invade nearby farms in the Queensland capital. The protest will originate at a secret location, and will require strategic maneuvers in order to overcome law authority.

“These activities create a serious biosecurity issue as well as putting the lives of farmers, workers and indeed animals at risk,’ Queensland Agricultural Minister Mark Furner told The Courier Mail. 

However, radical vegans who show initiative on illegally invading any type of farm in Australia are breaking the law. Repercussions involve large forthwith fines of hundreds of dollars. Queensland state politicians have pledged to be stringent with punishment when it comes to marauders in order to diminish what has been stated as a “completely inappropriate era of activism.” New rulings too, have been drafted to allow police to fine activists if caught trespassing anywhere at anytime. 

Vegan activism is abundant in Australia and not foreign for that matter. In December of 2018 vegan activists shut down a chicken slaughterhouse in Australia. They wanted to bring attention to the millions of birds who suffer and are killed every year. In Queensland, too, activists wanted to bring awareness to the 664 million chickens slaughtered every year in Australia. However, these people are not only trespassing, but invading upon farmer’s workdays, and causing a slew of issues for any company trying to feed their families. 

A statement by the group read as: “We need to pause and consider these animals, not as packages on a supermarket shelf, but as unique individuals, individuals deserving of kindness and compassion, and lives of their own worth living. Chickens can communicate with more than 20 different vocalizations and learn from past experiences. They are amazingly sensitive, affectionate individuals with unique personalities. We all have a choice. But unfortunately, they don’t. Choose kindly.”

In comparison to the more recent vegan activist movement in Queensland that is taking place on April 8, this seems like the second chapter. Many would reckon these activists realized success with only a group of 50, and can assume dominance with an even larger group this time. These actions will only continue and perhaps become more frequent. Undoubtedly, vegan activism breeds a special kind of militant personnel.