What’s shakin’ Sonoma State: earthquake rattles the Bay Area

exc-5dafb0790bb3473e6f79be60
exc-5dafb0790bb3473e6f79be60

October did not shy away from keeping Northern California on its toes. The power shutoff to many cities in Northern California shocked many residents when it happened so quickly. With no time to get acclimated back into routine after the shutoff, multiple earthquakes rattled the Bay Area. Starting on Oct., 14 at 10:33pm the first earthquake hit Pleasant Hill affecting many surrounding cities and rippling all the way up to Rohnert Park and parts of Santa Rosa.

According to the USGS website, two earthquakes have been reported near Pleasant Hill not even a day apart with the first earthquake coming to a magnitude of 4.5 and the second only reaching a 3.2. Authors Rong-Gong Lin II and Jaclyn Cosgrove from the Los Angeles Times discussed the impact these earthquakes have, “The earthquake had a preliminary depth of about 9 miles fairly deep for this part of the world, Keith Knudsen, USGS geologist and deputy director of the agency’s Earthquake Science Center, said in an interview. The depth of the quake caused it to be felt over a broad area, but the shaking felt at the surface was less intense than if the quale had been more shallow, scientists said.” While this earthquake did not cause any damage or injury, there are earthquakes that can leave a lasting effect on an area. Residents and nearby cities and towns continue to play the waiting to see when the next earthquake strikes.

Sonoma County is no stranger to natural disasters, and it takes a toll of the people living in the area. Sonoma State students have experienced a lot in just a few short years and with the anticipation of possible earthquakes coming, it can affect one’s ability to focus. With Sonoma State already canceling three days of school due to the power shutoff, students are already feeling behind and playing the catch up game. Adding on top of their stress, thinking about possible earthquakes occurring won’t help anyone to focus. By seeking help for those who are struggling, it can make this time a bit easier and more manageable. Natural disasters happen unexpectedly and while there is no control, preparation is key to ensure your safety and a peace of mind.

If the October fires in Sonoma County taught residents anything is to prepare for the unexpected. With California being one of the higher risk areas for earthquakes, residents need to be prepared for earthquakes and know what to do when the next earthquake strikes. Elementary school students are taught at a young age to practice drop, cover, and hold on. Ready.gov, an official website of the Department of Homeland Security, discusses in-depth actions that should be taken, “drop wherever you are on to your hands and knees…cover your head and neck with your arms…if you are under a table or desk, hold on with one hand and be ready to move with it if it moves.” The main thing everyone needs to remember when in an earthquake is to protect yourself. Ready.gov gives many tips on ways to set a house up to be ready for a possible hit from an earthquake and to keep the area safer than some. Keeping heavier objects lower on shelves can prevent huge falls within the house, as well as ensuring objects on the wall that are hanging are in place and couldn’t fall. To continue preparing, families should have an open discussion of what to do when the next earthquake occurs; provide the rights and wrongs in a shaky situation. The biggest thing is to make sure the younger members of families know what to do, where to go, and what shouldn’t be done. It is always better to be overprepared then underprepared.