Young adults showing little motivation to serve their country

exc-5e7a90b74f074574bc695821
exc-5e7a90b74f074574bc695821

The United States Military has been a staple of American culture for centuries as young men and women fight for the protection and freedom of the U.S. Joining the military has always been something that any citizen can respect, as many do not understand the endurance and strength it takes to join the military let alone fight on the front lines for the United States of America.

Although war has not been very prevalent almost two decades after 9/11 and it’s nothing like either of the World Wars, the military still puts money into recruitment as something can change at any moment. The Pentagon has spent over one billion dollars on military recruitment alone while being supported by President Trump to help students pay off loans and offer thousands of dollars worth of incentives per recruit. 

The military has faced rapidly falling recruitment rates as they failed for the first time since the height of the Iraq War in 2005. Former President Barack Obama had this to say in a debate with Mitt Romney during the 2012 presidential debate,  “Well, Governor, we also have fewer horses and bayonets, because the nature of our military’s changed. We have these things called aircraft carriers. The question is not a game of Battleship. It’s what our capabilities are.”

Obama’s quote gives somewhat of a look into why these recruitments are falling so rapidly and although it makes sense, it seems that less and less young adults are willing to join the military let alone fight for our country. They are fully willing to fight for rights and freedom to do what they please but are completely unwilling to actually fight for the country that gives them this freedom. Yes, the military has some defining features that many Americans may not enjoy, but is it really going to take the fear of another war and an attack like 9/11 for people to actually want to fight for our country?

The answer should be no, but that’s the way this country seems to be rolling as less and less are likely to join the military until they are either forced or swayed into joining. The military incentives are incredible although they pay is not the best, many are afraid or too lazy to join; the military is the backbone of the United States and they need help now more than ever as less and less are willing to join.

Although the military is doing incredible work as of right now with everything on their plate in Iraq and Korea, they will not have the numbers they need to defend during an actual war, making a draft more and more likely if something were to happen. 

The United States Army is looking at the lowest number of soldiers since the 1940s. With an estimate of over 30 million young adults in America, they still fail to raise recruitment rates. Although the criteria for joining the military has become more and more difficult as society changes, 85% of young adults in a Washington Post survey said they would “probably” or “definitely” not join the military in the coming future.

While most Americans are oblivious to the world outside of the United States, military recruitment is very important and should be taken into serious consideration for every young adult. Other countries do not even give their young adults a choice. American citizens take the military for granted as we enter into the new decade and it will take something drastic to change that because many are and will be unwilling to join. The United States military is not only the backbone of America, but the defense no one seems to notice, and it is important to understand and appreciate them.