‘Vaccine Passports’ in development to bring back normalcy

exc-60515a24170a462b290d4e36
exc-60515a24170a462b290d4e36

Living in this ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has caused many individuals to crave the idea of normalcy. Traveling is an aspect of the pre-pandemic lifestyle that after a year, people are wanting to go back to. However, traveling during this time has been the cause of controversial conversations as to whether it’s safe or not. So, with the development of a vaccine passport, there may be a safe way to pave travel even during the pandemic.

COURTESY // SEAN HOBSON

COURTESY // SEAN HOBSON

Currently, the vaccine passport does not exist, but the idea is being seriously considered by several travel corporations. According to CNET, the vaccine passport will most likely be in the form of digital documentation to show proof that each traveler has been vaccinated. In addition to traveling, it was also mentioned that schools could use vaccine passports to allow students and teachers to return to in-person classes as well.

The vaccine passports, also being called the vaccine pass, will be monitored on a mobile app. There will most likely be a scannable barcode so places can use it to let individuals enter establishments. The app will have functions that will allow users to not only show their passports as proof of vaccination but also check the necessary entry requirements for travel destinations. This app would also show the results of a user’s most recent COVID-19 test. As of now, these apps will only monitor COVID-19 vaccinations, however, it could expand to other illnesses in the future. 

Having vaccine passports are a positive implication that society can get closer to the end of this pandemic. There is a possibility that having a vaccine pass could be required for everyone if they want to enter a public establishment. Nick Careen, Senior Vice President for the airport, passenger, cargo and security at International Air Transport Association (I.A.T.A.) spoke with the New York Times about the future need for vaccine passes. Careen stated, “sporting organizations, concert venues and tourism agencies have all reached out for identification tech support to implement vaccine passports when they have been developed.” 

Currently, there are multiple organizations that are in the process of developing these vaccine passports. According to CNET, “The I.A.T.A. is developing an app called Travel Pass that would let users upload documentation that proves vaccination status.” The Travel Pass would also be utilizing identification measures such as fingerprints or facial recognition. IBM is also creating a Digital Health Pass that will “enable organizations to verify health credentials for employees, customers and visitors entering their site based on criteria specified by the organization.” Lastly, the app Clear, “the registered traveler program that allows you to speed through security at US airports, is pushing the Health Pass feature in its app.” 

Having a vaccine passport does not excuse individuals from following social distancing and other COVID-19 safety measures. Wearing masks and staying 6-feet away from others not in your party is still required by everyone, even if you are vaccinated and have acquired a vaccine pass in the future. 

While the vaccine pass could be a false hope since it does not guarantee immunity from the virus, the pass could open the door for behavior that could make the pandemic worse. It could influence more out-of-state travel and larger public gatherings that are not socially distanced. However, it would allow countries to have a positive incline in their economies, more establishments could be allowed to re-open. Vaccine passports are an opportunity vaccinated for intriguing those who might be more skeptical about the vaccine. Offering the opportunity for them to return to a more similar pre-pandemic state with a tap of a button.
Having more people vaccinated with vaccine passports can be beneficial for everyone, especially for those who are frontline workers and those who work in healthcare that is dedicating their time to fight against the virus. Also, it could ensure that society is on an upward trajectory to the awaited return to a pre-pandemic lifestyle.