Starbucks begins trials of the “Borrow A Cup” program

exc-607638e6728f4b3bfdf206a3
exc-607638e6728f4b3bfdf206a3

Starbucks recently decided to try a new cup share program called “Borrow A Cup” in five of its Seattle locations. This move comes in early preparation for Earth Day, which is on April 22. The “Borrow A Cup” program is where patrons can order their drink in a reusable cup which they can return so Starbucks can reuse for another customer, helping them reduce waste.

COURTESY // STARBUCKS

COURTESY // STARBUCKS

With this new program’s implementation, customers can go to any of the participating locations and buy their beverage of choice in a reusable cup for a $1 deposit. When the customer is finished with their drink, they can return their cup at a participating store’s contactless kiosk or have a Seattle area service called Ridwell pick it up from their home. When the cup is returned to Starbucks, it is thoroughly cleaned and sanitized for the next patron. For returning the cup, customers receive back the $1 deposit and 10 Starbucks rewards points. 

If this program succeeds, it could be expanded to reach more customers nationwide. Starbucks told USA Today that the company would “learn from, adapt and scale based on our learnings.” Starbucks stated that each reusable cup replaces an estimated 30 disposable cups, and this initiative is part of the bigger goal to reduce their waste by 50% by 2030. The company said that, technically, their current disposable cups are recyclable under the right circumstances due to the plastic coating on the inside, but they are still one-time use.
Starbucks’ efforts to create eco-friendly options are not the first efforts to come from the coffee giant. Starbucks has allowed patrons to bring in their mugs or cups for a small discount since the ’80s. “For Here Ware” was also a popular option for many patrons who enjoy their coffee in a mug or their own to-go cups. This program was put on hold early in 2020 due to Covid-19 safety concerns but has since made a full return with proper sanitization. 

In 2018, Starbucks and McDonalds committed $10 million in a partnership with Closed Loop Partners to help them create a new, eco-friendly cup. Kate Daly, from closed-loop partners, said in a statement, “Starbucks is helping to pave the way for a waste-free future for the foodservice industry.” Starbucks has also been researching how to make cups, lids, and straws easier to compost and recycle.

It is no mystery that our world is facing global warming and environmental deterioration to an extent never before recorded in human history. A significant part of that is due to our ecological neglect. Companies are too focused on profit versus making green products. While this is the sad truth, it can be hard to drop a cheaper alternative in a competitive market economy when it costs millions in the long run, even when that alternative saves the planet. 

President Joe Biden plans to create a 100% clean energy economy and net-zero emissions no later than 2050. According to his campaign website, he intends to accomplish this goal partly by “decarbonizing the food and agriculture sector,” according to his campaign website. With these optimistic goals, green and eco-friendly products may become defining factors of successful businesses in the future. 

Starbucks patrons should be proud of their favorite coffee shop for initiating a green movement. Starbucks has continued to encourage patrons to use greener alternatives to sustainable cups for decades now. The bring your own cup idea for a small discount was ingenious in the ’80s, and could have influenced many cafes and coffee shops to implement the same concept in their own locations. For now, all eyes are on the “Borrow A Cup” program and seeing how  Starbucks will set the trends for an environmentally conscious future.