The entertainment industry: a man’s world

Growing up watching actresses on the big screen has impacted millions of people’s lives regardless of their gender and expression. Those portrayals have been seen in both positive and negative lights by the public. One of the many things that is discussed regarding the entertainment industry is the unfair treatment of women, as shown by Scarlett Johansson’s lawsuit against Disney for unfair payment in her film “Black Widow.”

Throughout the years, the entertainment industry has been making an effort to portray women more accurately. Sophia Chakarevski, a San Diego State Student, stated, “I believe that women are slowly getting more respect and fair treatment surrounding the entertainment industry.” 

In addition to women slowly getting better treatment, women are also able to take on roles that men were only allowed to portray for many years. 

Chakarevski brings up a big issue: “I still know that there are unfair gender roles presented in the workplace, where women may be belittled or not taken as seriously.” 

In terms of the stories that are told in the entertainment industry, Professor Dave, a professor at California State University, Northridge states, “I believe the film industry should include stories reflected from around the world and not just a eurocentric view. There are plenty of women who have made a huge impact (on society, culture, economy, politics, etc.) from all over the world, but we are still getting some narrow reflection.” 

Chakarevski also stated that she “thinks men still dominate and control most productions, but recently there have been more amazing female directors, producers, and actresses making their mark and their voices heard.” 

There is a double standard in society that demands a lot from women. This can be translated into how actresses are able to express themselves. Khanh Dao, a student at Sonoma State University, states “[Women are] too emotional, but when a man does it, he is opening up. If you’re thin enough, then you don’t have a butt that everyone wants. Women are constantly getting nitpicked through how they dress, roles they play, etc.” 

On the positive side, a lot of high-profile celebrities take on a “role model” persona, even if they did not intend to do so, states Professor Grudman, a professor at California State University, Northridge.

Dao expressed that it brings a positive light for society, “Young girls and women can look up to them and feel they can be in a powerful role as a woman.” 

“When actresses triumph in the entertainment industry through advocacy and advancement, it has a positive effect on their audiences…especially females (of any age) who aspire to follow in their footsteps,” states Professor Grudman. 

In the end, there is a conscious effort for women to be represented in film and television in a more accurate manner; however, there is still a long way to go. There is a huge effort and push for women to be able to tell their stories, and for POC and trans women to get the spotlight.