Why are Americans fascinated by the royal family?

For most of us, our understanding of the British Monarchy mostly comes from the media’s fascination with the royal family.

Even if you couldn’t care less about which British royal was getting married, you’d have to be living under a rock to not hear all the buzz and excitement surrounding the family. 

Since the passing of Queen Elizabeth II, there has been nonstop live coverage of the royal family in the media, including updates on the upcoming events to mourn the beloved queen of England.

While there are millions around the world mourning the passing of Queen Elizabeth II, including many Americans, there are some who question the relevance of the British Monarchy, particularly here at SSU.  

“I feel indifferent with the queen dying because I have no relation or attachment with the royal family. I don’t think she’s relevant because she has not impacted my life,” stated Azucena Ferrusca Lopez, fourth year communications major. 

Nothing the royal family does affect any of us here in the United States. 

Respectfully so, the British monarchy serves as a decoration of the past in the present time. The Monarchy is kept alive for the sake of tradition.  

After all, the American Revolution was basically a rejection of the Monarchy, so why does the queen’s death impact Americans?

According to Renee Graham from the Boston Globe, America is envious of Britain having royalty. “The nation left the monarchy but never fully let go,” stated Graham.

This could explain why when you’re standing in line at the grocery store, there’s always at least one magazine with the latest news on the royals.Since we don’t have royalty in the United States to obsess over, the British royal family is the next best option since once upon a time, we were ruled by the monarchy. 

“Americans like to focus on others. Drama is part of our culture and listening to what the Queen does or doesn’t do intrigues Americans,” stated Lopez.

Since we have no loyalty to the British monarchy anymore, royal family gossip is entertainment for Americans. 

It is also possible that America’s fascination with the British royal family comes from how much we value fairytales.

“It is a common American pastime to read romantic stories about kings, queens, princes, and princesses. We have clearly demonstrated this in our books, movies, and television shows. Even Disneyland showcases all the fantasies of a monarchy,” said Khanh Dao, fourth year communications major. 

While it’s true that Ameicans love drama that doesn’t affect them and fairy tales about kings and queens, there must be a deeper reason for this fascination. Why was Queen Elizabeth II such an icon to the world?

Queen Elizabeth II is the longest reigning monarch in British history, according to Virginia Commonwealth University. Taking the throne in 1953, the queen has witnessed not only the United Kingdom change but the world as well. 

“I do find it quite sad that Queen Elizabeth II died; she ruled for over 70 years. After the    death of her father, King George VI, she became queen. Her life has been full of experience in this world, having met thirteen presidents of the United States. There is no denying the queen’s importance. She will always be remembered,” said Dao.

Queen Elizabeth II has been Britain’s national symbol for several decades. Although the monarchy doesn’t rule the country anymore, Queen Elizabeth has been by her country’s side for over 70 years through difficult times. In a world that was rapidly changing, the queen served as a consistent and graceful presence not only to the U.K. but to the world. 

The queen’s death is significant to the world because it marks the end of a long era. She is a historical figure who has reigned for many generations, becoming a familiar face to the world.