COVID-19 booster available for high-risk groups

exc-612ec10915ee6c5c2c3a1a1f
exc-612ec10915ee6c5c2c3a1a1f

The COVID-19 booster shot by Pfizer and Moderna is being administered to the elderly and immunocompromised across the United States, while Johnson and Johnson still awaits clinical trials. The first doses in the Bay Area were given about a week ago, mainly at nursing homes. The infrastructure to support another mass vaccine rollout is already in place and is ready to vaccinate everyone looking for a third dose. People will only be eligible for the vaccine at least 8 months after receiving their second dose of Pfizer or Moderna. 

Sonoma County began rolling out boosters for the first responders, immunocompromised, and elderly people a little over a week ago if they have received either one of the mRna vaccines, Pfizer or Moderna.  

The Johnson and Johnson booster will be delayed due to the fact that the research done on the booster shot was done on mRna vaccines, which the Johnson and Johnson vaccine is not. Health officials are saying a second dose may be necessary to increase immunity against the Delta variant. The company says studies are showing a rise in antibodies, but is awaiting government approval.  

The approval of the booster comes as a result of growing concern about the Delta variant.  With a rise in breakthrough cases the booster has shown to increase antibodies and help prevent the spread.

Here at Sonoma State, The Student Health Center (SHC) is providing COVID-19 vaccinations and will continue to do so until everyone in need has received a third stick. “The SHC is offering COVID vaccines currently and we plan to continue indefinitely. This includes giving booster shots as indicated,” said Tracey Eaton, interim director of the Student Health  Center.  At this point, it is unknown if the university will require the third dose when the appropriate age groups are eligible.  

The booster shot may not be available to most students at this time, but it is a step in the right direction in regards to restoring the college experience and bringing life back to campus.  

“I feel that the possibility of a booster shot coming to schools is terrific. Increased access to vaccinations, as well as any other medical or public health processes, is a positive for any group of the community, as well as the community as a whole,” said Ryan Moyer, a 4th year Political Science Major.  

As far as the school requiring the vaccine and the possibility of requiring the booster Moyer had this to say: “While I understand the importance of vaccination and safety protocols and try to do my part to comply with those procedures, I do still believe it is wrong to force people to do something that they do not agree with or believe in, misguided as I may find their convictions to be.” 

Specifically in Sonoma county, the booster is approved for those who got the second dose of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine at least 8 months prior to the date of their third vaccine appointment. Medical facilities in the area have begun vaccinating the elderly and immunocompromised, and boosters for all other groups should become available in the coming months. As soon as the government gives the all clear, vaccination sites in Sonoma County that are currently up and running will be providing boosters, such as the Sonoma county Fairgrounds, as well as many of the pharmacies in the area.

Across the bay area, health officials are prepared to open mass vaccination sites to distribute the booster vaccine, similar to the original rollout of the COVID-19 vaccine.  The vaccine rollout this time around should run a little smoother, with a majority of the population having at least one dose at this point.  The Johnson and Johnson vaccine is expected to have a second dose approved soon and has shown very promising results in trials.

To stay up to date with changes in eligibility criteria and vaccine studies, check the CDC website as well as the Sonoma County Health Services website.