Athlete Spotlight of the Week: Sebastian Bernal-Santos

exc-6165f16ea4e1ff34eb6fc0d6
exc-6165f16ea4e1ff34eb6fc0d6

seb.jpeg

Sonoma State University’s men’s soccer team has come across many great players in all their years of existence. While there are a number of eye-opening and respectable players that are currently in the 2021 men’s soccer roster, one player that seems to be getting a lot of attention is Sebastian Bernal-Santos, and for a good reason. 

Originally from Sacramento, Bernal-Santos has been a big component to the team’s recent success and is hoping to contribute much more as he enters his final year with the team. Bernal-Santos always makes his presence known on the soccer field, playing as one of the team’s leading forwards. 

In the 2019 soccer season, Bernal-Santos finished the season with three goals, a team high of four assists, and tied with fellow teammate Sean Rohane for a team high of 10 points each. 10 games into the 2021 campaign, Bernal-Santos has one goal, five assists, and 7 points so far. While the senior has caught the attention of many and earned much respect throughout his years, Bernal-Santos explained how his motivation has allowed him to make his way into playing at a collegiate level. 

“I use my mom and family mostly for motivation just because my mom started playing soccer,” explains Bernal Santos, “My mom was the one who put me into my first game and she enjoys watching me play. It makes her happy because she had to stop playing once my brother was born. It also makes me a role model for my younger brother to look up and see that he can make it out in the world and do stuff.” 

Since 2017, the Seawolves have struggled a bit to make much noise in their NCAA Division II bracket, with the men’s soccer team finishing 6-10-1 in their 2019 campaign. But with Sonoma State coming off an incredible 3-2 victory against Cal State San Marcos, as well as Bernal-Santos coming off the pitch with three assists, a much brighter season is now a reality as SSU’s record turns into 5-4-1. With more games to come, Bernal-Santos is doing whatever he can to get his team and himself ready to finish their season strong. 

“On Saturdays we usually do light training and we get into a pool to help our legs regenerate faster for our next game,” explains Bernal-Santos, “We know that even though we are on a nice fancy trip for now, we are here for one goal and one goal only: to get our six points and get our results. We just need to focus on what to do and to get everybody on the team in the mindset that game day is going to be another war.” 

Bernal-Santos also gets much respect from his teammates coaches as he continues to be a great asset on and off the field. “His work rate is amazing and he is always positive and upbeat,” says Head Coach Marcus Ziemer. “He has a huge impact on and off the field. It’s been awesome to watch him grow physically, as a soccer player and as a person. He’s very responsible and will be a huge asset to whoever hires him after college. I look forward to watching him as he continues to develop and move forward with his life.”