Women’s soccer remains victorious

exc-618aed673731884f67e6d9af
exc-618aed673731884f67e6d9af

On Nov. 4,  the Sonoma State women’s soccer team accomplished one of their biggest goals that has many SSU fans cheering with joy. Following their victory at San Francisco State, the women’s team managed to win their conference by getting first place in their CCAA division standings for the second season in a row. 

After a whole year off with the 2020 season being canceled due to COVID-19, the Lady Seawolves showed no signs of regression as they won their conference, with a conference record of 8-3 and an overall record of 13-4. After winning the conference by two points from second place Chico State, the Seawolves ended up sitting on top of the table with 24 points racked up, while also maintaining a 0.727 CCAA PCT. 

“It was an overwhelming feeling to win our conference, especially in my freshman season,” explains Lexi Zandonella-Arasa. 

“I’m so proud of the team and how far we have come the past couple of months. It was a moment I’ll never forget.” 

While many people would argue that the Seawolves won the conference comfortably, it was indeed a close and very interesting season. In one of their tournaments on Oct. 29, the Seawolves had lost their second match in a row with both losses coming with a score of 1-0 to Chico State and Stanislaus. The seawolves also found it frustrating that both goals by the opposing team came within the last couple of minutes of regulation. However the team never lost focus as they went to grab another victory as they hosted Cal State East Bay on Halloween.

“We kept our composure following the loss of those two games by using that anger and emotion that we each felt to regroup and rise up from the losses,” says Malia Falk.

“We each had our own understanding of what we needed to individually accomplish to get the win for the next couple games and so that was a big focus.” 

The last goal of the game, made by Alyssa Silva, secured a 3-0 victory as well both of the team’s leading goal scorers getting into the scoring action as well. Lexi Zandonella-Arasa and Malia Falk each made their fifth goal of the 2021 season. Then, on Nov. 4, the team had finally reached their goal of winning their second consecutive conference title after defeating San Francisco State on their home turf. The ladies won a comfortable 3-1 match with goals coming from Julia Pritchard, Julia Betti, and Victoria Chavez. 

With Sonoma State winning the conference, the Seawolves have now made it to the CCAA Championship Tournament that starts on Nov. 7. The Seawolves are hoping to make more noise as they get ready for tougher opponents with a potential game occurring on Nov. 12..  

To stay up to date with stats and game days, head to the SSU Athletics website for a full calendar.