Seawolves win first CCAA title since 2009

COURTESY// @sonomaseawolves

From left to right: Assistant coach Matt Medeiros, Thomas Jenkins Jr., Jack Green, Griffin Pace, Nick Friedman and Aidan Oliver pose for a photo after winning the CCAA Championship on Wednesday April 13.

The Sonoma State Men’s Golf team are champions once again after winning the CCAA (California Collegiate Athletic Association) Championship last week. The tournament was held at Yocha Dehe Golf Club in Brooks, Calif from April 11 to April 13 and saw the Seawolves be crowned champions for the first time since 2009. The five golfers on the Seawolf roster were freshman Aidan Oliver, sophomores Nick Friedman and Jack Greene and juniors Thomas Jenkins Jr. and Griffin Pace. The team finished with an overall score of 21-over-par 885 after three rounds with their score being 10 strokes better than second-place Chico State. 

The Seawolves opened the first round of the tournament with tough weather conditions playing a major factor. With the tough conditions set aside, the team still had a solid first showing with all five golfers shooting in the mid-70s for the par 72. Friedman led the way for Sonoma State with an opening score of even-par-72 with it being the only even-par score of the first round. The team finished the round with a seven stroke lead and an overall score of nine-over-par 297.

With round one in the books, the team maintained their lead in the second round with the help of  Jenkins and Pace. Jenkins shot two-under-par 70 with seven birdies. While Pace shot an even-par-72 with four birdies and one eagle. The final team score for the round was seven-over-par 295. 

“I think my competitiveness takes over in those stressful situations. I don’t like to lose, and if I can control it, I’ll fight very hard to win,” said Pace when asked what he credits for his success when the team needs him the most. 

“I think these guys are all in it for each other, not just themselves. And you know we have had success over the years because of that and I feel like this team is just following the suit,” said Head Coach Val Verhunce on what makes this group so special. “We are one of those teams where it’s important how we play and how we compete but I think it’s more important that we continue to support each other.” 

The Seawolves continued their excellent play in the third round which ultimately led to them wrapping things up and winning the tournament. The round was again led by Pace and Greene. Pace shot two-under-par 70, while Greene shot one-under-par 71 for the round. The team’s overall score for the round was five-over-par 293. 

The final individual scores for the tournament were led by Pace as he finished two-over-par 218 which tied him for second place in the tournament. Jenkins finished tied for seventh with a score of five-over par 221. Greene finished tied for 11th with a score of six-over-par 222. Oliver finished tied for 18th with a score of 12-over-par 228. And Friedman finished tied for 30th with a score of 18-over-par 234. 

“It feels really good, all of the hard work and adversity has paid off just in time for the postseason. It makes all of it worth it. The early morning workouts and the constant grind. It just feels really good knowing we’re in good form heading into regionals.” said Pace

The Seawolves will now prepare for the NCAA Division Two West Regionals in Pueblo, Colo. on May 5. For more information on the team make sure to head over to sonomaseawolves.com/sports/mens-golf