Student elections applications period ending

The Associated Students elections are approaching and Sonoma State University students who have what it takes to run for office are being encouraged to apply. Associated Students is the student voice that exists to help the campus community voice their opinions on academics, society and culture at Sonoma State. 

“The senate really is the ultimate managing authority, [they] are who make the decisions and then as the president, I help execute those decisions,” said Associated Students president and graduating senior, Anthony Gallino “The power really lies with the representatives on the senate.”

According to Gallino, all the individual senators and executive officers work together to come up with the goals for the university. Associated Students carry those decisions their by  presenting them to the University.

Graduating senior and chemistry major Matt Applesmith believes student government provides the opportunity for their voice to be heard.

“I know a lot of people think the president [of Associated Students] does everything and the other [senators] do little things, but for the most part, student government is more where everyone has an equal say,” said Applesmith. “It’s always interesting to see who comes out of the woodwork, I know for me I’m always interested in who the school of science and technology chair is.”

Requirements to run for a position in Associated Students include an online candidate application, a $25 bond deposit, a 250-word candidate biography and statement, attendance to one of the mandatory candidate meetings and attendance of one full meeting of the Associated Students senate in its entirety, every Friday in the Student Center at 1 p.m.

If interested in running for an executive officer or a special interest senator, candidates must attend a one-on-one with the executive director of associated students, Erik Dickson by Feb. 20, have at least 160 signatures, and collect signatures of at least 10 percent of students specific school in support of candidate.

Candidates must also attend a one-on-one with the Student Government Coordinator Asha Nettles by Feb. 20. 

Mandatory candidate meetings will take place on Wednesday and Friday at noon in Student Center in the Alexander Valley room, and Monday Feb. 16 at 9 a.m. in Erin Fisher Room.

Elections Commissioner Garett Knight is eager to see the next generation of student leaders emerge during the upcoming Associated Student elections.

“By joining AS senate, these students have agreed to represent the ample student body. I’m looking forward to seeing the platforms on which each candidate runs and how the student body responds to their campaign,” said Knight. “If elected, their stances will, without a doubt, shape the future of SSU.  My only expectation is that the elections will be run in an impartial manner that will clearly identify our student body’s future representatives.”

All applications and bonds are due on Friday.  Candidate petitions are due on Feb. 19 and the campaigning period will take place from Feb. 23 to March 6.  The voting period will take place from March 9 to March 11, and the elections results will be announced on March 11 at Lobo’s Pizza and Pub, from 7-8:30 p.m.