Suicide at Graton Rancheria

exc-5d817fd7e0866e774468095c
    exc-5d817fd7e0866e774468095c

This past Monday, Sept. 9, a man jumped to his death from the top of the Graton Rancheria parking garage. According to the police report, the man took his own life shortly after breaking free from police custody. 

The police were called to the scene at 1:30 a.m after the man, who at the time was standing on a four-foot-high wall on the top of the parking garage, which is a five-story drop to the bottom floor, where he continued to threaten that he was going to jump. 

The man was identified as 24-year-old Nevada Geoffrey Wise Bertagnolli. He was visiting the Casino and Rohnert Park area with a loved one. 

Shortly before his fatal jump, it appeared that local police officers had the situation under control as they grabbed the man, after he had become distracted, and moved him away from the edge of the parking garage. The man was then handcuffed and put under ‘psychiatric custody’ for his safety. 

However, while being taken to a squad patrol car, Bertagnolli was able to break free. And subsequently ran back toward the edge and jumped, falling to his death. Emergency Medical Technicians or EMT’s, who are responsible for providing basic care for medical emergencies, declared him dead on site. 

According to the Police report, “the officers that responded to the scene kept their lights and sirens so not to scare the 24-year-old”. 

Shortly after their arrival, the negation team took over to do their best to talk the man down from the ledge.  

Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Misti Wood said: “Deputies began talking to him in an effort to understand his situation and convince him to get off the wall safely.”

Wood’s also went on to say, “The Hostage Negotiations Team, fire department, and emergency medical personnel were called in to assist.”

According to a press release from the Sonoma County Sheriff: “Having managed to restrain Bertagnolli, officers handcuffed him, and continued to talk to him to de-escalate the situation. He was not under arrest, and would have been transported to a hospital or crisis stabilization unit had he not broken free from custody.”

The case is still under the current investigation. But the violent crimes unit is investigating the case, and the Marin County coroner’s office is responsible for conducting the autopsy.  

The suicide comes to a shock to many in the Rohnert Park area. Current Sonoma State Junior Jonah Lewis said “ Any time you hear of a suicide, your heart goes out to that person and their family immediately. But also for Graton itself, I’m sure as a staple for this community this is not an easy thing to deal with.”  

Lewis went on to say, “Things like this just happen far too often today. I just wish when people felt like this that they would seek help or just be more willing to talk to someone so that they don’t feel like taking their life is their only way out.”

With and traumatic event such as this, it is always good to remember you are not alone. If you know anyone who is struggling with depression or suicidal thoughts, do not hesitate to contact a medical professional or and emergency service. Or contact the 24-hour suicide hotline by calling (800)-273-8255

According to Sonoma State’s Counseling and Psychological Services, “it is important to get appropriate treatment as soon as possible. The most important thing friends and family can do to help an individual who is depressed or suicidal is to help this person receive the appropriate treatment.” 

Graton.jpg